Thursday, April 14, 2005

Academia

Here is a fantastic piece on Prawfsblog:

Ribstein observes how beneficial blogging has been for the law schools of those professors who blog -- and, if I recall, Ribstein mentions specifically the high performance of Texas (Leiter), UCLA (Volokh and Bainbridge) GMU (Bernstein, Zywicki et al.), and GW (Kerr and Solove) -- in the SSRN tournament rankings. He therefore poses the valuable (if rent-seeking) question: whether schools should be subsidizing the production of blogging.

And here are some tables on teaching loads per year at various schools:

Yale University ... 3 courses
Harvard University ... 3 courses
Stanford University ... 9 or 10 credits
Columbia University ... 10 credits
New York University ... 10 credits

At my university, the standard seems to be 3-4 per semester, which is quite a bit. This does benefit students, somewhat. We have higher quality teachers actually teaching, as opposed to doing research -- which is what a lot of these universities seem to encourage.

1 comment:

kris said...

I am absolutely shocked by how hard our professors work. I know of one English prof who teaches, between TWU and another school, six courses. To me, that is insane. I asked why he does it and he told me that that is what he has to do to support his family.
What do you think about that? I've talked to a number of profs who say that they don't know how much longer they can afford to teach at TWU.