Friday, December 02, 2005

Michael Ignatieff and his secret

Speaking of hidden agendas, Michael Ignatieff, the Liberal star Ontario candidate revealed this faux pas to the Harvard Crimson:
“If I am not elected, I imagine that I will ask Harvard to let me back,” Ignatieff said. “I love teaching here, and I hope I’ll be back in some shape or form.”
Well, I hate to reign on his fun, but this followup sounds incredibly insincere:
Mr. Ignatieff quickly explained in a telephone interview from Boston that the comment was a joke. "I was talking in my customary way, with a lack of care," he said ruefully. "It was meant in a light-hearted humourous way . . . a kind of joke, like I was begging them to take me back."
Forgive me from being slightly suspicious. But does this -- “I love teaching here, and I hope I’ll be back in some shape or form" -- sound like a 'kind of joke' to you? If he loses his election, my money is that he cuts and runs. Some dedication to the country.

No comments: