Friday, February 10, 2006

Garth Turner MP speaks out on Emerson

Conservative MP Garth Turner isn't happy about Emerson's move to the Tories. Some people are applauding Garth Turner's outspokenness. I am not. Stunts like Turner's, in the corporate world, will get you fired, or 'dooced.' And rightfully so. It is not the airing of a public greivance that I take issue with. It is Turner's lack of tact that is objectionable.

It is one thing to say "I dissent." It is quite another to tar a brush on the leader of your party by painting a martyr of yourself. Look at me, fighting for the people, and Harper's leadership will now sentence me to the Parliamentary underworld for life. Turner needs to get over himself. His cause is admirable on principle; his delivery is not.

Now, Turner is the news. "I think it is now safe to say my career options within the Conservative caucus are seriously limited." Well if it already wasn't limited before meeting with Harper, it is seriously in jeopardy now.

First rule of tact: keep your cards close to your chest. Turner, who may have held the moral high ground for merely acting principled, has clearly given it up by making himself a martyr, for no cause other than himself. Read the relevant post for yourself. Is using the media to talk about your boss and solve your own problems even remotely intelligent? You decide:
"Speaking of offices, after today I’m expecting the Whip will be assigning me a renovated washroom somewhere in a forgotten corner of a vermin-infested dank basement in Ottawa. That should go well with my seat in the House of Commons that will be visible only during lunar eclipses.

Uh-huh. That kind of a day. This one MP came face-to-face with the party machine in a series of unhappy meetings including one tonight with the prime minister. I think it is now safe to say my career options within the Conservative caucus are seriously limited. If you would like a course on how not to be popular in Ottawa, then take a seat."

1 comment:

R.J. Sloan said...

I hope the PM does relegate you to a broom closet. Iv'e been a Conservative and a business man for years. In business you hire the best to do the job, not necessary an unqualified friend.

This is the reason so many great successful businessmen refuse to go into politics as it is so petty. PM Harper acted as a prudent busness person would have. I would welcome all the qualified Liberals, Block and NDP to join ranks and get the frigging job done. Quite acting and yaking like some spoiled brat.